CSCS is a unit of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich) reporting to the Vice President for Research.
The mission of the Advisory Board is to provide advice, guidance, support and advocacy to CSCS in continuing development of its activities and programs. The Board advises the responsible Vice President of ETH Zurich and the CSCS director in advancing the centre and its academic and operational programs.
The Advisory Board members serve as an advocacy group both individually and collectively and assist in promoting a positive image and good relations for CSCS with the HPC community within Switzerland, Europe and abroad, and in relating its scientific activities and services to society at large.
The members of the Advisory Board are:
- Prof. Dr. Anwar Osseyran, SURFsara, The Netherlands (Chairman of the Board)
- Prof. Dr. Marco Baggiolini, President Emeritus Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Lippert, Jülich Supercomputing Centre, Germany
- Dr. Jeff Nichols, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Prof. Dr. Tim Palmer, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Prof. Dr. Katherine Yelick, Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory, USA
The members of the Advisory Board are appointed for two-year renewable terms.
Scientific Advisory Committee
The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) advises the Director on scientific directions relevant to the User Lab Program and gives recommendations on the project allocations. The SAC comprises five permanent members to cover the most important fields of research for CSCS and occasionally includes invited members as well if there are proposals that call for additional expertise. The SAC meets two times a year to review user projects and requested allocations and then have strategic discussions with the director.
The permanent members of the Scientific Advisory Committee are:
- Prof. Dr. George Biros, Mechanical Engineering, ICES Parallel Algorithms for Data Analysis and Simulation, University of Texas, Austin, USA
- Prof. Dr. Luigi Del Debbio, Physics, Quantum Field Theory, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Prof. Dr. Erik Lindahl, Biophysics, KTH Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University, Sweden
- Prof. Mike Payne, Theory of Condensed Matter, University of Cambridge, UK
- Prof. Dr. Pier Luigi Vidale, Climate System Science, Climate Directorate of the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS-Climate), Reading, UK