CSCS is a unit of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich). Since October 1, 2008, CSCS has been part of the division headed by the Vice President for Personnel, Resources and Infrastructures of ETH Zurich.
The Deputy Director represents the Director within and outside the centre. He coordinates the activities of the centre with the Vice President HR and Infrastructure and his staff.
Human Resources (HR) supports the leadership team of CSCS on all life-cycle aspects of HR management as recruitment, retention & development. She is also the reference person for all employees concerning their work at the centre. The HR Manager reports directly to the ETH Zurich HR department and coordinates tightly with the Director of the centre.
The mission of the Advisory Board is to provide advice, guidance, support and advocacy to CSCS in continuing development of its activities and programs. The Board advises the responsible Vice President of ETH Zurich and the CSCS director in advancing the centre and its academic and operational programs.
The Advisory Board members serve as an advocacy group both individually and collectively and assist in promoting a positive image and good relations for CSCS with the HPC community within Switzerland, Europe and abroad, and in relating its scientific activities and services to society at large.
The members of the Advisory Board are:
- Prof. Dr. Anwar Osseyran, SURFsara, Holland (Chairman of the Board)
- Prof. Dr. Marco Baggiolini, President Emeritus Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Lippert, Jülich Supercomputing Centre, Germany
- Dr. Jeff Nichols, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Prof. Dr. Tim Palmer, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Prof. Dr. Katherine Yelick, Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory, USA
The members of the Advisory Board are appointed for two-year renewable terms.
Scientific Advisory Committee
The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) advises the Director on scientific directions relevant to the User Lab Program and gives recommendations on the project allocations. The SAC comprises five permanent members to cover the most important fields of research for CSCS and occasionally includes invited members as well if there are proposals that call for additional expertise. The SAC meets two times a year to review user projects and requested allocations and then have strategic discussions with the director.
The permanent members of the Scientific Advisory Committee are:
- Prof. Dr. George Biros, Mechanical Engineering, leader of the ICES Parallel Algorithms for Data Analysis and Simulation, University of Texas, Austin, USA
- Prof. Dr. Luigi Del Debbio, Physics (quantum field theory), University of Edinburgh, UK
- Prof. Dr. Erik Lindahl, Biophysics, KTH Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University, Sweden
- Dr. Malcolm G. Stocks, Materials Science, corporate fellow, group leader of the Materials Theory Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Prof. Dr. Pier Luigi Vidale, Climate System Science, UoR Meteorology Dept., senior scientist at the Climate Directorate of the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS-Climate), Reading, UK
The Staff Unit maintains interface to external institutions and provides business intelligence. The unit is responsible for finance & controlling, procurements, coordination of international projects, communications, event management and IT security.
Scientific Software & Libraries
The Scientific Software and Libraries unit develops and modernizes libraries and software tools to enable scientific applications to run at scale on different hardware architectures. The unit engages in long-term collaborations with various external partners and scientists providing software engineering and HPC expertise.
The Business Services Unit provides the backbone services in facility management, office IT infrastructure, logistics and administrative support. The Facility Management Group is in charge of the upkeep and maintenance of the building and infrastructure as well as construction projects. The IT group is responsible for all office IT equipment and central IT services, whilst the Administrative Services are responsible for managing the reception, travel organisation, accounting, event management and general administrative support.