CSCS-USI Summer School 2017
SUMMER SCHOOL 2017
EFFECTIVE HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING
The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre and Università della Svizzera italiana are pleased to announce the opening of the selection process for participation in the annual Summer School.
The Summer School will be held from July 16 through July 28, 2017, in Hotel Serpiano, located in the Italian area of Switzerland. The hotel is positioned on Mount San Giorgio, UNESCO World Heritage site since 2003, wherefrom participants can enjoy an incredible view of Ceresio lake and its surroundings.
The Summer School is dedicated to undergraduate students, Ph.D. students, Postdocs and Researchers.
Applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Good knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages:
- Fortran 90
- Familiarity with the UNIX/Linux OS and the basic programming environment tools (terminals, editors, compilers)
- Require HPC skills for their work or research
Only applicants who satisfy all requirements will be considered. Participants will need to bring their own laptop for practical sessions.
The school will focus on the effective exploitation of High Performance Computing (HPC) systems.
Traditional parallel programming approaches, based on the message-passing paradigm, are no longer sufficient to fulfil this task, and innovative solutions need to be addressed. During the two weeks of the school a number of such solutions will be presented. The MPI, OpenMP, CUDA, OpenACC programming models will be introduced, together with scientific libraries and efficient I/O solutions. Their effective combined usage, in order to achieve an ideal exploitation of large hybrid architectures, will be discussed and experimented with extensive practical and exercise lab sessions to help clarify and consolidate the theoretical material presented.
The following topics will be covered:
- Message passing programming model and the MPI standard
- Shared memory systems and the OpenMP programming model
- GPU programming with CUDA and OpenACC
- Effective data I/O
- Scientific libraries
- Code optimization
If you meet all requirements, kindly fill in the attached application form and send it to summerschool2017(at)cscs.ch no later than Friday, April 7, 2017.
Thirty applicants will be selected to participate in the Summer School. You will be notified about acceptance or rejection of your application by Wednesday, June 7, 2017.
Those candidates whose application successfully passes the selection process will receive further information regarding the registration.
Rate for Post-docs, PhDs and university students: CHF 1’500
Rate for non-academic professionals: CHF 3’000
- Nine full-day and one half-day intensive courses based on theoretical and practical coaching in a group of maximum 30 participants
- Learning materials introduced by instructors
- A visit of the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)
- An excursion in the area
- Single room accommodation throughout the duration of the course (twelve nights from Sunday, July 16 through Friday, July 28, 2017)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner during weekdays
- Breakfast during the weekend
Participants can book additional nights at their expense before or after the event at the favorable rate of CHF 118 for a room with double occupancy, or CHF 89 for a double room with single occupancy.
Please note that students selected to attend the program will need to hold a health insurance that could cover potential unanticipated medical treatment during their stay in Switzerland.
- Students coming from EU* or EFTA* countries will be asked to provide a copy of one of the following documents: European Health Insurance Card, or Provisional Replacement Certificate for the European Health Insurance Card
* EU Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. EFTA: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.
- Student coming from other countries will be asked to provide: a letter from their insurance company and a copy of their insurance card confiming international coverage of at least CHF 400'000 for each of the following items:
- emerging medical expenses
- emerging hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons and mortal remains
If a student should not have an insurance, or their insurance company cannot provide such specific letter, they must purchase insurance for the entire duration of their trip and provide proof of pirchase.
The summer school is supported by:
- The Swiss Graduate School FOMICS - "Foundations in Mathematics and Informatics for Computer Simulations in Science and Engineering”, which is located at the Institute of Computational Science (www.ics.usi.ch) at USI in Lugano, Switzerland.
- The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (www.cscs.ch) in Lugano, Switzerland