CSCS-USI Summer School 2018
High Performance and Parallel GPU Computing
Registration possible upon invitation only.
The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre and Università della Svizzera italiana are pleased to announce that the annual Summer School will be held from July 15 to July 27, 2018 at the Steger Center in Riva San Vitale, located in the Italian area of Switzerland. Registration for selected participants is now open.
The program will focus on the effective exploitation of hybrid High Performance Computing (HPC) systems, equipped with powerful CPUs, state-of-the-art GPUs, and fast and scalable networks. The content will include CUDA and OpenACC for GPU programming and MPI for inter-GPU/CPU communication. Furthermore, scientific libraries and machine learning frameworks, optimized for the GPU and for parallel applications will be introduced.
Extensive practical and exercise lab sessions will help to clarify and consolidate the theoretical material.
Lectures and training sessions will be held by ETHZ-CSCS, USI and NVIDIA experts.
The following topics will be covered:
• GPU architecture
• GPU programming with CUDA and OpenACC
• Message passing programming model, the MPI standard and the GPUDirect library
• Performance optimization
• Scientific libraries for parallel and GPU programming
• GPU optimized machine learning frameworks
Students will be able to earn three ECT credit points for this course from Università della Svizzera italiana: https://search.usi.ch/en/courses/35257241/usi-cscs-summer-school-on-effective-high-performance-computing
The flyer of the event is accessible here.
The Summer School is dedicated to undergraduate students, Ph.D. students, Postdocs and Researchers.
Applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Good knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages:
- Fortran 90
- Familiarity with the UNIX/Linux OS and the basic programming environment tools (terminals, editors, compilers)
- Require HPC skills for their work or research
Only applicants who satisfy all requirements will be considered. Participants will need to bring their own laptop for practical sessions.
Application for this event is now closed.
Those candidates whose application successfully passed the selection process will receive further information regarding the registration.
- Accommodation in dormitory and full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee breaks during the week; breakfast during the weekend): CHF 1’200
Accommodation throughout the duration of the course (twelve nights from Sunday, July 15 through Friday, July 27, 2018) in rooms of 2 to 3 people divided by gender with common showers, bathrooms and laundry room.
- Meals-only (lunch, dinner, coffee breaks during the week): CHF 600
- Nine full-day and one half-day intensive courses based on theoretical and practical coaching in a group of maximum 30 participants
- Learning materials introduced by instructors
- A visit of the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)
- An excursion in the area
Please note that students selected to attend the program will need to hold a health insurance that could cover potential unanticipated medical treatment during their stay in Switzerland.
- Students coming from EU* or EFTA* countries will be asked to provide a copy of one of the following documents: European Health Insurance Card, or Provisional Replacement Certificate for the European Health Insurance Card
* EU Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. EFTA: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.
- Student coming from other countries will be asked to provide: a letter from their insurance company and a copy of their insurance card confiming international coverage of at least CHF 40'000 for each of the following items:
- emerging medical expenses
- emerging hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons and mortal remains
If a student should not have an insurance, or their insurance company cannot provide such specific letter, they must purchase insurance for the entire duration of their stay and provide proof of purchase.
The course will be held at the following address:
Steger Center for International Scholarship
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Via Settala 8
6826 Riva San Vitale
A PDF with detailed travel information is available here.
The summer school is supported by:
- The Swiss Graduate School FOMICS - "Foundations in Mathematics and Informatics for Computer Simulations in Science and Engineering”, which is located at the Institute of Computational Science (www.ics.usi.ch) at USI in Lugano, Switzerland.
- The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (www.cscs.ch) in Lugano, Switzerland