CSCS-USI Summer School 2020
Effective High-Performance Computing & Data Analytics with GPUs
The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre and Università della Svizzera italiana are pleased to announce that the annual Summer School will be held from July 13 to July 24, 2020 at the Steger Center in Riva San Vitale, located in the Italian speaking area of Switzerland.
This summer school will focus on the effective exploitation of state-of-the-art hybrid High-Performance Computing (HPC) systems with a special focus on Data Analytics. The content of the course is tailored for intermediate graduate students (3rd year Bachelor's students, Master’s students, Ph.D students, and early stage Postdocs) interested in both learning parallel programming models, and having hands-on experience using HPC systems. Starting from an introductory explanation of the available systems at CSCS, the course will progress to more applied topics such as parallel programming on accelerators, code optimization, scientific libraries, and deep learning software frameworks.
The following topics will be covered:
• GPU architectures
• GPU programming (CUDA and OpenACC)
• Performance optimization and scientific libraries
• Interactive supercomputing (JupyterLab)
• Python HPC libraries (Numpy/SciPy/Dask/Numba/CuPy)
• Introduction to Machine Learning and GPU optimized frameworks (Rapids)
• Deep Learning on HPC platforms (TensorFlow)
Extensive practical and exercise lab sessions will help to clarify and consolidate the theoretical material.
Students will be able to earn six ECT credit points for this course from Università della Svizzera italiana (subject to exam): https://search.usi.ch/en/courses/35260874/effective-high-performance-computing-data-analytics-summer-school
Lectures will be held by ETH Zurich / CSCS, USI, and a partner organization from the industry.
The target audience is intermediate graduate students, which includes 3rd year Bachelor's students, Master’s students, Ph.D students, and early stage Postdocs.
Applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Good knowledge of C/C++ and basic knowledge of Python
- Basic understanding of MPI
- Familiarity with the UNIX/Linux OS and the basic programming environment tools (terminals, editors, compilers)
- Require HPC skills for their work or research
Only applicants who satisfy all requirements will be considered. Participants will need to bring their own laptop for practical sessions.
If you wish to help us publicize the Summer School program you can download the flyer here.
A maximum number of thirty applicants will be selected to participate in the Summer School. You will be notified about acceptance or rejection of your application by Friday, June 5, 2020.
Those candidates whose application successfully passes the selection process will receive further information regarding registration.
- Accommodation in dormitory and full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee breaks during the week; breakfast during the weekend): CHF 900
Accommodation throughout the duration of the course (eleven nights from Monday, July 13 through Friday, July 24, 2019) in rooms of 2 to 3 people divided by gender with common showers, bathrooms and laundry room.
- Meals-only (lunch, dinner, coffee breaks during the week): CHF 500
- Seven full-day and three half-day intensive courses based on theoretical and practical coaching in a group of maximum 30 participants
- Learning materials introduced by instructors
- A visit of the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)
- An excursion in the area
- A final test with the possibility to earn six ECT credit points from Università della Svizzera italiana (if successfully passed)
Please note that students selected to attend the program will need to hold a health insurance that could cover potential unanticipated medical treatment during their stay in Switzerland.
- Students coming from EU* or EFTA* countries will be asked to provide a copy of one of the following documents: European Health Insurance Card, or Provisional Replacement Certificate for the European Health Insurance Card
* EU Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. EFTA: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.
- Students coming from other countries will be asked to provide: a letter from their insurance company and a copy of their insurance card confirming international coverage of at least CHF 40'000 for each of the following items:
- emerging medical expenses
- emerging hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons and mortal remains
If a student should not have an insurance, or their insurance company cannot provide such specific letter, they must purchase insurance for the entire duration of their stay and provide proof of purchase.
Inquiries may be addressed to email@example.com.
The summer school is supported by:
- The Swiss Graduate School FOMICS - "Foundations in Mathematics and Informatics for Computer Simulations in Science and Engineering”, which is located at the Institute of Computational Science (www.ics.usi.ch) at USI in Lugano, Switzerland.
- The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (www.cscs.ch) in Lugano, Switzerland