- CSCS becomes PRACE (Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe) fifth hosting member. Piz Daint is the most powerful system in the PRACE pool of resources.
- Installation of a new tape library with an initial potential capacity of 120 PB.
- 25th anniversary.
- "Piz Daint" upgraded to enable a consolidation of scientific computing and data analytics services.
- MeteoSwiss moves its operational numerical weather prediction suite to a hybrid multi-GPU compure nodes system.
- Installation of a micro hydro plant at the CSCS pumping station to generate electricity using cooling water from the supercomputers.
- First PASC Conference: PASC14.
- Inauguration of the upgraded "Piz Daint", the first hybrid petascale supercomputer in Europe.
- "Piz Daint" upgraded to hybrid (multicore + GPU accelerator).
- Cray XC30 "Piz Daint" (multicore)
- Launch of the Platform for Advanced Scientific Computing (PASC) initiative.
- Official inauguration of the new building.
- Move from Manno to the new location in Lugano.
- Completion of construction work at the Parco Ciani pumping station.
- Start of construction of the new building in Lugano.
- First European Workshop on HPC Centre Infrastructures.
- Launch of the High Performance and High Productivity Computing (HP2C) initiative.
- Cray XT5 "Monte Rosa".
- Implementation of the national High-Performance Computing and Networking Strategy (HPCN).
- Presentation of a national strategy for ensuring timely participation of Swiss research in international developments toward petascale computing.
- Start of hosting the cluster for the Swiss Institute of Particle Physics (CHIPP).
- IBM P5-575 "Blanc".
- Cray XT3 "Piz Palu".
- IBM SP4 "Venus".
- MeteoSwiss begins computing weather forecasts at CSCS.
- NEC SX5 "Prometeo".
- NEC SX4 "Gottardo".
- CSCS selected by NEC Corporation as the site for NEC's High-Performance Computing Software Development Center; collaboration in Parallel Processing.
- 1st October: official inauguration.
- "SWITCH" network established, linking the Federal Institutes of Technology with CSCS.
- CSCS begins operation on 30 September 1991.
- Installation of the first supercomputer, a NEC SX-3/22 "Adula".
- The center's location is decided: a new building in Manno.
- Start of discussions on locating the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre in Ticino.
- Validity of the Federal decree limited to five years starting 1 October 1986; funding thus had to be used by 30 September 1991.
- Federal decision to invest 40 million Swiss francs in a high performance computing center (> CSCS) and 15 million Swiss francs in developing a national research network for making the supercomputer accessible to Switzerland's leading universities (> SWITCH).
- The Federal Government identifies a lack of well-trained computer scientists in Switzerland.