Who can apply?
These projects are intended for users who need:
- to port and test their codes before applying for a Production Project
- to generate the required benchmarks, perfomance analysis and resource justification to be included in the Production Project Proposal
These projects consist of a limited and finite amount of compute resources. They are allocated for 3 months - a maximum extension of 3 months may be granted based on CSCS' evaluation of the request.
Preparatory Projects are allocated a total of 1'000 node hours over 3 months on the Cray XC50 (hybrid CPU/GPU Piz Daint) or a corresponding allocation if you are interested in other clusters available for the User Lab.
In the preparatory phase we only open up to 3 accounts. You only have 1 week after the expiring date to access and transfer your data, after that the project and the accounts within are closed.
Up to two A4 pages:
- Short description of the research methods, algorithms, and code
- Parallelization approach, memory requirements
- Research goals to achieve at the end of the three months to be promoted to a Production Project
- HPC Experience of the applicant (brief description of the HPC know-how of the PI and the group; need of support in compiling, porting, optimizing, etc.)
How to apply
Please, send your Preparatory Project in pdf format to: projectoffice(at)cscs.ch.
Review process and decision
Preparatory Projects will undergo a technical review by CSCS experts within one month of submission.