If you wish to submit a production project you need to have (in pdf format):
- Your production project proposal including all the mandatory items listed below
- Your curriculum vitae
- Your list of publications
***Proposal submission is now closed! You can only submit at the next deadline on May 11, 2018 at 18 CEST!***
Who can apply?
Proposers must hold at least the position of post-doc within their institution.
PhD students CANNOT apply on their own, but instead must do so in consultation with, and under the auspices of, their supervisor. In such cases the supervisor should be identified as the Principal Investigator (PI) of the project.
Principal investigators can only apply for resources on the hybrid Cray XC50. All mandatory items have to be performed on the GPU partition of Piz Daint with no exception. Access to the multicore partition shall be granted only upon Scientific Advisory Committee's recommandation.
If you do not have access to that partition please contact projectoffice(at)cscs.ch.
The production projects should involve highly parallel and scalable simulations. We expect that you state the number of nodes on which your jobs will run. CSCS will give preference to projects that involve highly scalable codes and GPUs usage.
Production project proposals can ask up to 1 Mio node hours, if more is needed PIs should apply under the PRACE Tier-0 calls.
Project Proposal Format
The project proposal should be no longer than10 A4 pages including graphs and references, and must contain the following information:
- Background and significance
- Scientific goals and objectives
- Description of the research methods, algorithms, and code parallelization approach (including memory requirements)
- Representative benchmarks and scaling
- Performance analysis (click here to see how to do it)
- Resource justification (annual node hours and disk space)
- Project plans: tasks and milestones
- Visualization, pre- and post-processing needs
- Previous results are mandatory! Please list allocations requested, granted and used in your previous project (if applicable)
- Research publications that resulted from these allocations
- Development and debugging requirements (not mandatory)
- You can suggest up to two scientific peer reviewers (indicate name, affiliation and contact) and ask to exclude up to 2 reviewers via an email to projectoffice(at)cscs.ch or alternatively to mgg(at)cscs.ch.
Please note that lack of any of the mandatory parts may result in rejection of the proposal.
A full template of the technical description of the proposal can be found here »
The allocation requested must be per year, that is you need to provide the total number of node hours required for one year of your project.
The documents that need to be submitted are:
- Project Proposal (pdf format)
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf format)
- Publication List (pdf format)
VERY IMPORTANT: If you do not have representative benchmarks and data to justify the resource request you need to apply for a Preparatory Project, which allows you to port your code, to test it, and to collect all the information necessary for a Production Project Proposal.
Please do not submit one proposal for multiple projects. It is mandatory to submit one proposal per project, even if those projects are related via the same code or suites of codes.
Please be aware that proposals rejected in previous calls cannot be resubmitted.
PROPOSALS REQUESTING UP TO 36'000 NODE HRS ON THE CRAY XC SYSTEMS: Please note that production projects asking up to 36'000 nodes hours per one year are not reviewed scientifically but only technically by CSCS experts. We allow a max 5 accounts per small project.
PIs and their research group can only submit ONE such project proposal per year! Additionally, such projects cannot use more than the granted allocation and can only have 1 year duration.
PIs or members of the PI's group with ongoing large production projects cannot apply for small production projects.
The review process is structured as follows:
- Complete proposals will be subjected to a technical feasibility assessment
- Complete proposals will be subjected to scientific review which will be carried out by reviewers from an international pool
- Based on the technical/scientific reviews a panel committee of scientific experts will rate the projects and make a final allocation recommendation
Applicants do not receive intermediate feedbacks, the communication will only happen within 2-3 weeks from the SAC meeting.
There are two allocation periods for Production Projects and Large Development Projects on CSCS HPC systems starting on: April 1st and October 1st.
Fall Allocation Period:
October 1st, 2018
Spring Allocation Period:
April 1st, 2019
Fall Allocation Period:
October 1st, 2019
Deadline for Submission
|May 11th, 2018 at 18:00 CEST||October 19th, 2018 at 18:00 CEST|
May 10th, 2019 at 18:00 CEST
Feasibility & Technical Feedback
|July 2018||December 2018|
Panel Committee Meeting & Allocation Decision
|September 2018||March 2018||September 2019|
Official Letters to Proposers
|Within the following 2 weeks||Within the following 2 weeks|
Within the following 2 weeks